Friday, June 27, 2008

Visitor from School!

Yesterday afternoon Brenna got a visit from the counselor at her school in Cleveland, Mrs. Litrell. She had called and said that her husband worked for the airline and if possible she might fly out and visit if Brenna felt up to it. So, she flew in yesterday and brightened Brenna's day. It was good for her to see a familiar face and I know it made her feel special to know that a teacher came all this way just to see her. She brought Brenna a joke book - which she loved. She always wants to tell jokes and sometimes makes up her own. Mrs. Litrell stayed for a couple of hours and then left for home. We were thankful that she took a whole day out just to come and cheer up our girl. It really meant a lot to us.

During the afternoon, they did the speech mapping of Brenna's brain. I had no idea that it was going to be such a big to-do. They came in and rearranged the room so that they could bring in the computers and machines and then make room for all the people. Besides David and I, there were probably about 10 people either watching or performing the test. What they did was hook up some of the wires from her head to this machine and computer. They then asked her to point at pictures and they would send some kind of sensation to areas of her brain. Somehow, her response and the timing showed them where certain skills were in her brain. At one point, the area they were in caused her to have a severe toothache. She started crying and holding her mouth. So, they stopped where they were and Dr. Clarke said that they probably had touched the area where her facial feeling/nerves are. That was really weird. Anyway, the test lasted a little under an hour, but I think all the people and the test itself stressed Brenna out. I was glad when it was over. I am still uncomfortable with them messing with her brain - who wouldn't be? Then, after the test was over, Dr. Clarke showed us an actual picture they took of Brenna's brain during the surgery. (He made sure David wasn't squeamish). It was amazing and horrifying all together - to see my daughter's brain exposed like that. He showed us the grid of leads and where they are going to go in to remove the tissue. You could see almost her entire left half of her brain. My poor baby girl is going to have a huge scar, I'm sure. I know it doesn't matter - what matters is her getting better.

Anyway, today is going to be an easier day. Dr. Clarke said he would like to unhook her from the monitor so she could go to the play room this afternoon for a couple of hours. She's excited about that. It will be good for her to get up and move around a bit. It will be good for all of us to get up and move. Sitting in this room is really making my leg stiff. But I'm not complaining - I can't when I look at my daughter.

1 comment:

Debbie Dahling said...

Hi Brenna Dahling,
I hope you feel better.
Hey I am going to be gone all this
week so if you wonna plan something for when you get home
call aunt Debbie.
love
Faith Dahling
Kiss, Kiss, Kiss, Dahling